December 13, 2023

Missing Cake | Simple 2D Animation in Blender



Video

Still Making



How I Do It (Tutorial in Process)

If you interested how to make 2D Animation like this in Blender, so ... you in the right place. I writing and recording my every step of making this animation, just scroll down and learn.

This style is easier to animate then Traditional 2D Animation, because in this style every part of the character like (head, eyes, mouth, arms, legs, etc...) are separated in different objects, then you just animate this objects and change object's frames, then you need just correct broken pieces in animation. This style is longer to prepare all things for animation, but create animation it more easier than drawing every frame. So ... Blender don't have a "Grease Pencil Library", so I made it by myself in my free "MegaBag" addon, so if you wanna create animation like this I recommended to add this addon in Blender.

So ... in first we need a story, and here is my short story that I came up with, for this story I took the characters from my (The J. Family) project. (I know I wanna some better and funnier story, but this is all I have right now, so ... let's do this).


I redrew my characters into the Blender.


Jessie - Quick Test Animation



Thumbnails

I made a thumbtails of this story, if you didn't know what thumbnails is, I'll tell you, thumbnails it's a like a small storyboard without text, it's can be images in small squares (like I did right now), or it can be a list of movement like image sequence with onion skinning effect (in short: thumbnail it's a small drawing of animation idea, before storyboard and animatic).


Background

So ... Background I made in 2D³ Borderless Space Drawing style, because I've tried to draw background, but it's take too much time to draw every new camera angle, you can see that if you want: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTA59kpbDsmgxkBRbbxoVNn7iDRKg64Nv.

That's why I used 2D³ Borderless Space Drawing method for background, you need to draw only ones, and then you can just choose any camera angle you need.


Drawing Animatic

I maked animatic without storyboard, because I made a thumbnails very detailed so ... I decided to make animatic right away. You can see my progress here:


Animatic



OK, Animatic is done, now I will start making animation...